Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Merry Christmas - Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

Merry Christmas everyone!  I have many ambitious post ideas floating around in my head, like a recap of 2013, a list of my favorite triathlon toys, but I am way too mellow after my 5:00 am boot camp strength class and run with Gypsy to do much more than sign on to wish everyone a very happy holiday.


I will get to all those longer posts, but for now let me share a new recipe we tried for our family holiday baskets: Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark from one of my favorite bakery blogs, Brown Eyed Baker.

Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark

  • 2 cups of good-quality caramels (we used Werther's soft caramels)
  • a bag of pretzels
  • sea salt
  • 1 16 oz package of milk chocolate chips
Spread parchment paper over a baking sheet (make sure to use one with an edge - you do NOT want to scrape caramel off the bottom of your oven).  Unwrap all the caramels (little helpers are great for this).


Space out the caramels evenly on the parchment paper, and put in a 350 degree oven until they melt.  You can use a spatula (buttered) to spread a bit if needed.


Sprinkle sea salt over the melted caramel, followed by an even layer of crushed pretzel bits.


Top with the chocolate chips.  You can use any kind you want - we liked the slightly sweeter milk chocolate to offset the salty caramel.  Put back into the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the chocolate.  


Once chocolate is melted, remove and spread (if desired).  You can press whole pretzels into the top for a decorative finish.


Use a large knife to cut the COOLED bark into squares.Enjoy right away, or wrap up in cellophane for gifts!

________________________________________

Lest you all get the wrong idea, it hasn't been all bark-making around here.  Though the number of Christmas cookies I've consumed this week is truly shocking.  For real.  I must stop.  And I will riiiiiight after Christmas.

My workouts of late:

Wednesday: 35 minute bike trainer
Thursday: 2.5 mile run, FIT strength class
Friday: 1000 yard swim, 2.76 mile fast finish run
Saturday: Total Immersion class, 5 mile long run
Sunday: Rest
Monday: 35 minute hill run in the pouring icy rain outside my office
This morning: FIT class and a 3.55 mile run in Gypsy's oh-so-hilly neighborhood.  Best way to start the holiday!!!

Enjoy this time with you loved ones, be safe, do what brings joy to your hearts, and don't eat too many cookies everyone!!  

Merry Christmas from my Family to Yours!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment