Wednesday, December 4, 2013

In Need of Elves

Ever wonder how Santa gets it all done?


1)  He's magic
2) He has thousands of elves that work for him.


I want elves.

Ok, he's close.  He'll do.

Seriously though, after the craziness that was Thanksgiving, I was ready for some down time.  Some nice relaxing time to sit on the couch, stare at our tree, and relax.  Maybe rethink my goals and training program, having proven to myself that I can run 3 miles in the turkey trot.  Only that last part happened, though.

The Day After Thanksgiving


60 minute trainer workout on the bike at home with my Pear system, after spending the morning decorating the house for Christmas.  After I'd showered and I was just started to relax a bit, we realized that we were late for the little guy's swim class.  Parent fail.  Honestly - We are so getting coal from Santa.  Mad dash to the gym to get the little man into the pool in time to say goodbye to his teacher.  Add 45 minutes of swimming in the pool with both kids to my workout day.

Our tree
This day also marked the return of Zip, our Elf on the Shelf.  Yes, I am one of those psycho parents that does crazy things with their elf every day.  But the kids adore him and think he's hysterical, and the Jedi and I actually have a lot of fun coming up with ideas.  For his first day back, he was so inspired by the kids run at the Turkey Trot that he decided to run here from the North Pole....


Runner Zip!

Saturday After Thanksgiving


Straight back to the gym in the morning, after taking the kids to a workshop at Home Depot.  They are pretty good with hammers!!  I had a chip on my shoulder about our time for the Turkey Trot (kids and stroller notwithstanding) and wanted to see how I would do going solo.  So I hopped on the treadmill to time my 3.1 miles.  I couldn't break 30 minutes due to some tummy trouble (more on that later), but came pretty close.  Running - check.  Although my HR while running is much higher than it was pre-injury - like up in the 170s.  Very bad.  Must work on this somehow.  I followed it up with a 1/2 hour strength workout, also on my Pear system, designed to strengthen and avoid injuries common to runners.  I found out just how weak the muscles in my right foot are.  Ouch.

Sunday After Thanksgiving


Rest Day.  Took kids to the Nutcracker with Gramma.  Zip approved.....



Monday - Back to Work

At a time of year when it seems like everyone is doing a "run a mile a day" or "don't gain any weight" or "25 days of Paleo" challenge, I decided my best improvement I could work on was getting to bed early, and back into the swing of going to the gym early.  So first day - up and at 'em.  BRICK TIME.  Forget the fact that my daughter started throwing up at 4 am and that's when I woke up.  Sleep is for the weak.

I decided to ditch the Couch 2 5K program I've been doing, and move up to a Faster 5k Running program.  It is still a low mileage, easy option - meant for people that have run 1 or 2 5ks but want to increase their speed.  Even though I've run more races than that, that's probably about where I am physically after my injury.  So I started with Day 1, a 2 mile run, and followed it with some strength work and an 1000 meter swim in the pool.  Was at my desk by 9 am, and wanting to sleep on it by 10 am.  But the show must go on....


Yesterday - It All Goes South

4 am yesterday it was the Jedi's turn.  Sick sick sick.  Poor man.  I left the house around 5:15 for an early boot camp class.  I had planned on Day 2 of running, but I texted him after my class to see how he was doing.  Poor man couldn't even get out of bed.  So home I went to get the girl child on the bus, Jedi tucked into bed, and I took the little man to work with me.  Yes, I can do everything!!!!

Legos at my desk.  What is better?

I was exhausted from so little sleep the previous 2 nights, and sore all over from the boot camp class.  But work was busy, my little guy had Legos, the IPad, and as much free hot cocoa as he could drink.  Plus the unending adoration of my coworkers who were happy for the tiny distraction.  Back home to take care of the little girl and Jedi mid-afternoon.  Son was then running a fever.  Daughter still having tummy issues.  Oh h*ll.  I got everyone fed, asleep, moved the Elf to a new location, and got to sleep on the couch last night.  Fully expecting to take kids to school then Jedi for some IV fluids in the morning....

Even Zip is sick.....

Today - I rest.  Kind of.

This morning my daughter was running a high fever, so she skipped school.  Jedi is on the mend.  Son is chipper.  No workouts for me - every part of my body hurts, and I am trying very hard to not come down with the GI bug.  Someone has to stay standing around here....

So by my count, since Thanksgiving I have:
  • biked once
  • strength trained 3 times
  • swam once
  • ran twice (not counting thanksgiving itself)
  • disinfected the house and changed all the sheets twice
  • answered about a zillion emails
  • written about 30 reports
  • Put up 2 Christmas trees
  • wrapped all Christmas presents
  • Mailed 50 Christmas cards
  • Done 9 loads of laundry
  • cooked 16 meals
  • moved Zip 5 times
  • not thrown up once.
Let's hope that last one stays true.

How is your Holiday prep coming?
What do you do to stay healthy?  Any tips for when your whole family is sick?


No comments:

Post a Comment